Washington, DC -- Congressman Duncan Hunter (CA-50) joined millions of Americans across the country this past weekend celebrating “Sanctity of Human Life Day” by announcing a list of the pro-life legislation he is cosponsoring in Congress. A proud member of the House Pro-Life Caucus throughout his career, Congressman Hunter has been unequivocal in his support of measures and federal policy that seeks to protect the life of the unborn.
“In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated January 22 as the first Sanctity of Human Life Day, marking the date the Supreme Court legalized abortion-on-demand in the U.S.,” said Congressman Hunter. “But the Sanctity of Human Life needs to be more than a slogan, it remains a guiding principle for those of us who support life and are willing to work on any action or effort that help protect what I believe to be the constitutional rights of the unborn. This is my sixth term in Congress and I will proudly, and unapologetically, continue to support measures that recognize the value of life God provides and limit any reach, by either government or the scientific-research community, that seeks to diminish that right.”
The current list of pro-life legislation Congressman Hunter has cosponsored includes:
• H.R. 296, the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act - prohibiting the Department of Health and Human Service (HHS) from providing federal family planning grants to entities that perform abortions or provide funds to entities that perform abortions.
• H.R. 305, the Sanctity of Human Life Act - stating that life begins at fertilization.
• H.R. 369, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act - prohibiting federal funding for Planned Parenthood for one year, reallocating the savings to community health centers.
• H.R. 490, the Heartbeat Protection Bill - prohibiting an abortion if an unborn child’s heartbeat is detectable.
• H.R. 573, the Protecting Life and Integrity in Research Act - prohibiting using fetal tissue from aborted babies for research purposes.
This is not a comprehensive list, as Congressman Hunter is continuing to review additional pro-life measures that have already been authored, as well as bills that are expected to be introduced in the future. Additionally, Congressman Hunter has signed on to several letters with many of his colleagues to those within the Trump Administration calling on the support of inner-departmental pro-life regulations and directives.